Thursday, February 26, 2009

The latest

I have not posted much recently because I never felt like there was much to say. I will start posting at least once a week, even if it is just to say that nothing happened that week.

We had a conversation with Grandma on Monday night about when we should build the house. We have been pretty conservative about starting a project like this with the current financial situation. We can't afford two mortgages, so we need to get our current home sold. Home sales are not looking very good right now, so that is a concern. Our current home may not sell, or may only sell if we take a loss on it. That wouldn't help us at all in affording the new home. Another financial concern we have is with my job. My company has basically said that we are not going to grow this year, but just try to stay level (and lots of hints that we are just going to try to survive). I think we will survive and I feel like I would be one of the last employees to be laid off. In one of our meetings we talked about ways to reduce costs to help the company through the tough economic times. I may have to take a pay cut eventually. So, some of our drive to get the home built right away has been diminished by current circumstances.

If it is the right thing to build now, regardless of the circumstances, we want to do it. We just want to make sure that we are doing the right thing. Our country is in this financial mess because too many people lived beyond their means. Every time I hear a report about someone who is complaining that the banks and the government aren't helping them keep the home that they could never afford in the first place, it bothers me a little. I don't want to become that.

So, do we wait it out a little? Maybe we should get it built as soon as possible, for Grandma's sake. If we end up in a tough financial situation, it will have been worth it to have Grandma's influence in our home and around us and our kids. Do I lack faith? Or am I being wise? Has the delay in building been the Lord's will, or my will? We are going to have a fast, to ask if now is the time. Grandma's lease gives us some time, but not much. When I look at how long Tahna and Jordan's house took to build, I realize that it will probably take longer than I would want it to take. I am looking forward to finding the right answer.

No comments: